Guthrie County Historical Village

Guthrie County Historical Village
Guthrie County Historical Village
Guthrie County Historical Village
1851 Log House
Interior Log House

Law Office
Schoolhouse and Outhouse
Interior of Schoolhouse
Panora Depot and Inspection Car


The Historical Village, located on a 4-acre complex near the Middle Raccoon River and Lenon Mill Park in Panora, features twelve buildings, numerous exhibits, and thousands of artifacts that explore the history of Guthrie County from 1850 to the early-20th Century.  Started in 1968, the majority of the collection has been donated by families and friends in the surrounding communities.  Most of the buildings are from various locations within the county. Newest addition is a 1915 Pullman Café and Observation Car that is currently being restored.  

Location

The Historical Village, located at 206 W South Street in Panora, Iowa, is two blocks east of Lenon Mill Park and five blocks west of the Raccoon River Valley Trail.

GOOGLE MAP LOCATION



Features

MAIN BUILDING:  Various displays of life around 1900, such as a telephone switchboard, military uniformsr, dolls and toys, Native American artifacts, a 1912 Model T, and a rare Civil-war Era oil painting.

LOG HOUSE:  The 1851 log house was the first permanent structure in the area that is now known as Panora.

DEPOT & CABOOSE:  The Panora Depot, moved in 1968, was the first building at the Historical Village. The 1956 Milwaukee caboose was added in 1989 and restored to its original condition.

PULLMAN CAFE & OBSERVATION CAR:  The 1915 Pullman car has been a work-in-progress for the last few years and is currently no open for touring.  

CHURCH:  The 1913 New Bethel Methodist Church, originally located north of Adair, features a pump organ from St. Cecilia's Catholic Church, wooden pews from the Church of the Brethren, and a collection of wedding dresses. 

COUNTRY SCHOOHOUSE & OUTHOUSE:  Cass #7, which sat northeast of Panora, was one of Iowa's standardized schools with its signature "bank of windows."  The outhouse was originally located at Orange twp. #5 schoolhouse. 

IMPLEMENT BUILDING:  This large compound contains a collection of antique farm equipment, horse-drawn plows, tractors, a threshing machine and binder, and many other items typically found on early-working farms.

BLACKSMITH SHOP:  In our shop, you'll find all the tools that would have been used in a blacksmith shop, such as a large forge, anvil, bellows, and tongs.

GENERAL STORE:  In the store, originally from Monteith, you'll be sure to find many items, including patent medicines, sewing machines, the original Safeside, Post Office, and a replica soda fountain display.

PRINT SHOP:  The Print Shop, originally the Bayard Lumberyard Office, was the perfect size for the printing equipment that was currently part of the Village's collection.

LAW OFFICE:  The 1878 Batschelet Law Office is full of original documents, law books dating from the 1870s, furnishings, and the a walk-in safe.



Operating Hours & Seasons

SEASON:

May 1 to October 15

 

HOURS:

Tuesday thru Friday:  10am to 4:30pm

Saturdays & Holidays:  1pm to 4:30pm

 

ADMISSION:

Adults:  $2

Children 6 to 17:  $1

5 & Under:  FREE

 

Need more information:  Call 641-755-2989 or Email gchv@netins.net.