Great canoeing adventure along the Boone River!
All 70 camp sites are electrical. There are no actual marked camping pads. Campers are free to set up their camping units or tents on the grass areas. Modern shower/restroom facility onsite. $18 per night camping rate.
An open air shelter is available for rent with electricity, water hydrant, tables, a playground and shower/restroom facility nearby. The cost for this shelter is $35 per day period plus a $35 deposit. Shelter use now has a "Carry In-Carry Out" trash policy. Not following the policy will result in forfeiture of deposit. For shelter reservations open the "Facilities" tab above.
We are located at 3100 Bell's Mill Road in Hamilton County, Iowa. This is approximately six miles north and east of Stratford, Iowa. Look for section 16 of Webster township in the plat book. The Boone River forms the southern boundary of the park, and access is from a gravel road. Paved roads, located within a short distance of the park, occur in all four directions with the access to state highway 17, 175 and 20.
- Shower/restroom facility - heated
- Dump station
- Picnic areas
- River fishing
- Open shelter
- Enclosed schoolhouse shelter
- Canoe ramp
Established in 1853, Bells Mill was a popular meeting place for the original settlers to the Hamilton County area. Bells Mill was donated to the people of Hamilton County on June 1, 1926 and had its official opening on August 1 of that year. The mill was donated by Sarah Jane Bell ("Aunt Jen"), the wife of Jasper Newton Bell ("Uncle Jas") in memory of her family and the mill's importance to the history of the early settlement in the area. A board of trustees of Bells Mill Park was appointed by Aunt Jen to watch over and care for the park until the trustees turned it over to the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors. The board of supervisors eventually transferred management and control of the park to the Hamilton County Conservation Board, which was established in 1957.Since that time, the conservation board has maintained the park, sponsored various improvements, and updated park facilities to accommodate the changing needs of park users and campers.
Operating Hours & Seasons
- The park is open April 1 through October 31, depending on weather
- Park Hours: 5:00 am to 10:30 pm
- Camping check-in: 2:00 pm
- Camping check-out: 3:00 pm
- Main gate closes at 10:30 PM. Gates are not locked.
- All non-registered campers (visitors) shall exit the area by 10:30 PM
- Campground quiet hours are 10:30 PM - 6:00 AM
NOTES ON USE OF CAMPGROUND IN "OFF-SEASON":
- The campground may be opened prior to April 1 or closed after October 31, pending favorable weather & ground conditions.
- Water and modern restrooms/shower facilities may be closed to prevent freezing even though the campground may remain open.
- Online reservations will not be taken for the "off-season" period, campers will need to utilize the on-site self-registration system and pay the required fee.