A wooded knoll, rose from the long stretches of prairie which surrounded it. From 1840's on, it was known as a landmark for pioneers going west across Iowa. The prairie has now given way to cultivated fields, and much of the timber that made up Pilot Grove is also gone. The 7 acre remnant includes an oak-hickory savanna and evidence of wagon trials through the timber. This historical area is owned by the state but managed by the Iowa County Conservation Board as a wildlife preserve.
Drive west of Williamsburg on V66, south to 260th St, west 1/2 mile
No Hunting allowed.