Woodpecker Lodge is located on a scenic hill top in Pinicon Ridge Park - a regional destination just west of Central City, IA. Opened in 1966, this facility was accompanied by the Pinicon Ridge Dam, Observation Tower and Flying Squirrel Campground as the Conservation Department's major park developments of the mid-1960s. This was the first lodge available for reservations by the public on a year-round basis - and immediately became popular because of the adjacent lighted sledding hill - which, 40-some years later - still makes for great winter activity destination! The unique triangular shape, and scenic vistas off the patios of this lodge serve only to enhance the lure to this location for family gatherings, youth group activities and neighborhood events.
The lodge is located on Woodpecker Hill, just north of the landmark Observation Tower. From Hwy. 13, enter the park via the southern entrance on Horseshoe Falls Road off of main Main Ridge Road. Follow the signs to Woodpecker Hill - turning left off the main park road approximately one mile into the park.
- 875 total sq. feet of covered space:
- Main lodge area is 42’ x 42’ x 42’
- Large exterior patio has several hundred square feet of additional use area
- Seating for 50-60 people banquet style
- Sheltered capacity – 75 people; Fair weather capacity – 250 people
- 70 folding chairs, nine 8’ X 30" folding tables and two 4’ X 30" folding tables (furniture stored on carts in lodge)
- Full kitchen facilities including: full-sized refrigerator, 4-burner electric range w/oven, sink, food preparation counter space, cupboard space.
- NO AIR CONDITIONING is available. Lodge is heated with ceiling fan in place
- Six 30 amp. outlets in lodge, one outside
- Parking for 75 cars, 2 handicapped spaces
- Interior restrooms (men & women) - Accessible
- Large fireplace on side wall of main lodge space - with some wood provided
- Catering and service entrance is same as main entrance to facility
- 1 outdoor water spigot avail.
- Two double outdoor cooking grills
- Four picnic tables on patio; four refuse cans
- Exterior concrete patio extends use area
- Downhill sledding facility adjacent (lighted)
- Sand area for volleyball is adjacent
- This is an ADA accessible facility
Table with chairs
$150/day weekends & holidays; $70/day weekday.
For all fee and discount information, click here.
Hours of Operation & Seasons
Woodpecker Lodge is available for reservations 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily on a year round basis. \
Woodpecker Lodge is closed on December 24, 25, 31 and January 1.