This 1,102-acre nature center is located in the heart of the globally significant Loess Hills and harbors some of the largest remaining prairie remnants in the state of Iowa. At Hitchcock, visitors can enjoy many unique low-impact recreation opportunities such as hiking, camping, picnicking, bird watching, sledding, star gazing or simply enjoying nature.
Park Contact Information
Hitchcock Nature Center
27792 Ski Hill Loop
Honey Creek, IA 51542
Hitchcock Nature Center is located in Honey Creek, IA just 20 minutes from Council Bluffs, IA and downtown Omaha, NE. Follow Interstate 29 to exit 61A. Turn north on the Old Lincoln Hwy and follow it 5 miles to Page Lane. Follow signs to park entrance.
Features of Hitchcock Nature Center
- Unique Loess Hills landform and rare flora and fauna
- Loess Hills Lodge Exhibit Gallery and adjoining 45' observation tower
- Hitchcock Nature Center campground (18 RV sites and tent camping area)
- Camping cabins to overnight rental
- Nationally recognized Hitchcock HawkWatch
- Extensive 10 mile trail system including a 1/4 mile accessible boardwalk
- Modern restroom & shower facility
- New Loess Hills playground
- Breathtaking picnic spots
- Environmental Education and seasonal recreation programs
Operating Hours & Seasons
Hitchcock Nature Center Park Hours
Open all year 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Park Admission: $2.00 per vehicle per day OR $10.00 annual permit
Loess Hills Lodge Exhibit Gallery Hours
March - November
Tuesday - Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sundays: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
December - February
Friday & Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Loess Hills Lodge Admission: Free with paid park entrance fee
Mondays, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day