Dakins Lake is a 41-acre park located just north of Zearing in northeast Story County. It has a five-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, channel catfish, and crappie. it also has a small restored prairie and wooded areas.
1/2 mile north of E-18 (130th Street) on 710th Avenue
- Fishing on the five-acre lake
- Self-registration camping at one of 10 camp sites with electrical hookups; water hydrants and portable toilet on site. Fee is $15 per site per night.
- Supervised youth camping site: The fee is $20.00 per night; reservations are required by calling 515-232-2516.
- Dakins Lake is a designated public hunting area. Hunting and trapping are allowed. Please remember to get permission when hunting within 200 yards of any occupied building, even on public land.
- Pets must be kept on leashes in the camping and playground areas. Hunting dogs must be kept under control while hunting.
- Hiking and off-road biking on the park's trails
- Only electric trolling motors are allowed on Story County Conservation Lakes; gasoline-powered motors are prohibited.
Operating Hours & Seasons
- Park hours are 5:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. unless camping overnight.
- The campground is open April 1 to October 31.