Story County's Largest Park!
Hickory Grove Park is the largest and most popular of the conservation board's parks. This 445-acre multiple-use recreational area southwest of Colo contains a 98-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, channel catfish, and grass carp.
Located within central Iowa’s “Golden Triangle”, Hickory Grove Park is a 45-minute drive from Des Moines, Iowa’s capital, and 15 minutes from Ames, the location of Iowa State University.
Hickory Grove Park lies southwest of Colo, Iowa between 670th and 690th avenues and between 250th and 255th streets. The park is approximately twelve miles east of the intersection of U.S. Interstate 35 and U.S. Highway 30 and two miles west of the intersection of U.S. Highway 30 and U.S. Highway 65.
- 43 modern camping sites with electricity at Breezy Bay Campground within Hickory Grove Park; $17 per night per site
- Shower house with flush toilets and hot water in Breezy Bay campground
- Primitive campground on the south side of the lake; $12 fee charged
- Supervised youth camping sites; $20 per night (pre-registration required by calling 515-232-2516)
- Concession stand with pedal boat and canoe rentals and concessions (weekends and holidays from 12pm - 8pm, Memorial Day - Labor Day)
- Sand beach (There are no lifeguards on duty--swimming is at your own risk. There are no swimming fees charged.)
- An alcohol free area exists on and around the beach from the north boat ramp (not including the ramp area) to and including the Supervised Youth Camping Area. No alcohol of any kind or size may be possessed or consumed .
- Picnic sites with tables and grills
- Two enclosed lodges with fireplaces, electrical outlets, outside grills, and water nearby (available by reservation; fee charged)
- Five open picnic shelters (first-come, first-served)
- Hiking trails, canoeing, and boating (electric motors only)
- Public hunting is allowed only in the two game management areas on the south side of the park (see map).
- Non-toxic shot only
- Winter activities including ice fishing, cross-county skiing, and snowmobiling
Operating Hours & Seasons
Park hours are 5 a.m.-10:30 p.m., unless camping overnight. Campgrounds are open April 1 to October 31.