Klauenberg Prairie Preserve

The  220 acre Klauenberg Prairie Preserve is managed as an undeveloped Natural Area at the wishes of the donor of the land, Bernard Klauenberg. The Main goal of the Klauenberg Prairie is to preserve the highly erodible grasslands by establishing a wide range of prairie habitat types. Beginning in 2016 first restoration efforts were completed at restoring the area to native Iowa prairie. Initial seeding's were a mix of pollinator friendly species aided at benefitting species like Monarch Butterflies and Honey Bees. Subsequent restoration efforts will be targeted at providing both nesting and winter cover for grassland species of birds mammals and reptiles.  

 Prescribed Burning on prairie areas is effectively used to set back woody plant species. Burning also removes excess fuel loads, promotes native vegetation, enhances nutrient recycling, and controls annual weeds.  

In 2018 the MCCB partnered with  the ISU Science-based Trials of Rowcrops Integrated with Prairie Strips, “STRIPS” project  at the Klauenberg Prairie.  This practice is a proven tool for improving and protecting row-cropped farm fields. By converting 10% of a crop field to diverse, native perennial, farmers and farmland owners can reduce the amount of soil leaving their fields by 90% and the amount of nitrogen leaving their fields though surface runoff by up  to 85%.  



South of Van Cleve and to the west of Wehrmann Prairie Preserve.


Activities at the Klauenberg Prairie Preserve:

  • Hunting per Iowa DNR rules and regulations is allowed
  • Bird Watching
  • Nature Study
  • Photography  


Prohibited Activities include:

  • No motor vehicles allowed
  • Removing plants is prohibited
  • Pets must be leashed during nesting periods March 15 thru July 15 each year       

Operating Hours & Seasons

Recreational Area Hours are 5:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Area is open year round.