Squirrel Hollow Park

Squirrel Hollow Park

Squirrel Hollow Park, developed in 1934, is the second oldest county park in Iowa. The park is 56 acres in size and is bordered on two sides by a 147 acre wildlife management area.  Civil Works Administration crews built structures in the park out of fieldstone in the mid 1930's.  The focal point of the park is a shelter house built on a bluff overlooking the North Raccoon River offering a scenic view of the river valley.  Old millstones are laid in a circle in the center of the floor, with 1853 inscribed in one.  The park offers camping, river fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, picnicing.  The Henderson Park boat ramp is 8.1 miles upstream and the Adkins Bridge boat ramp is 3.8 miles downstream.  


Location

Squirrel Hollow Park is located three miles east of Jefferson on E53, four miles south on P 30, and one mile south on Redwood Avenue. 

Features

  • 20 electrical camping hookups. 30 amps.
  • Equestrian campground with 10 30 amp hookups.
  • Shelter house with fireplace.
  • Walking trail with footbridges.
  • Concrete boat ramp.
  • 147 acre wildlife management area adjacent to park.
  • Fishing riffle. Catfish, walleye, and smallmouth bass main species.

             

 

 

 



Operating Hours & Seasons

The park is open from April 1 to November 1.  Park hours are 5:30 A.M. to 10:30 P.M.