Mormon Ridge Log Cabin

Log Cabin
Log Cabin
Log Cabin
Log Cabin

The historical log cabin of northwest Marshall County may help you learn, remember, and reflect upon a time when pioneer families struggled to settle the “new” land.

William C. Ruddick was the original owner and builder of the cabin. It is believed to have been built in 1856. According to Bangor Township records that began in 1859, Ruddick owned 200 acres of land, 5 parcels of 40-acres each, that extended west from the Iowa River and to the top of the ridge.  William C. Ruddick and his wife Absillet were both from Indiana – William from Jackson County and his wife from Bartholomew County. They arrived in Marshall County in 1856. The 1860 census records indicate William was 38 years old, his wife was 36. They had a daughter Mary, age 11, a son William P. who was 9 and an eight month old son Isaac. Another son, Jesse, was born a few years later. In 1869 the Ruddick family had increased their possessions to nine cattle, two horses, two and a half mules, twenty sheep, ten swine, two vehicles, and other taxable items worth $50. His total worth was $1,870.

When William C. Ruddick died in 1871, he left the land to his minor sons Isaac and Jesse. They kept the property until 1895 when it was transferred to E.F. Sutton. Several other people owned and rented the cabin until 1989. Through many decades the cabin had been added on to and sided so that its original log structure was hidden.  In the summer of 1989 the log cabin was “rediscovered”. The restoration work was a cooperative venture. The 16’ x 20’ cabin was donated to the Marshall County Conservation Board (MCCB) by Marvin and Joann Thomas. In November 1989, the MCCB and Marshall County Historical Society began plans for renovation and preservation of the cabin.  Royal and Paula Young donated a nearby one-half acre tract of land for the structure’s permanent site. On December 10, 1991, the cabin was moved east 300 feet to its present location.  The MCCB worked on the cabin to replace a few logs, establish a new limestone foundation, made and install a new roof, doors, porch, windows and shutters and with assistance from Eagle Scout candidate, Mark Lamer, re-chink all spaces between logs. Native trees were planted and a split rail fence was installed next to a small public parking area in 1994.  The log cabin is not furnished. It is usually locked but appointments can be made by organized groups for an “open house”.


The Log Cabin is located 6 miles northwest of Albion.
Click here for a map to the historical cabin.


Historical Log Cabin from 1856  

Operating Hours & Seasons

Area open year round.  Cabin open by appointment only.