Chain Lakes Natural Area

Chain Lakes
Chain Lakes
Chain Lakes
Chain lakes historic bridge

Chain Lakes Natural Area
A dominant feature of this 403-acre natural area is the Chain Lakes Bridge, built in 1884 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

 

This area is part of the Cedar River Greenbelt and is divided by the Cedar River. The area consists of six separate units, the largest of which is an island. The area is managed for wildlife and is open to hunting during season. Two of the area units are accessible from Blair’s Ferry Road, one of which is planted to prairie grasses and sunflowers. There is a 400+ acre property managed by the Iowa DNR adjacent to the southern boundary.

For hunting rules and regulations, please visit the Iowa DNR website.



Location

Chain Lakes Natural Area is located near 4200-4230 Chain Bridge Rd, Palo 52324. There is also access to the access to North sections via Blair’s Ferry, Chain Lakes Rd. Click here for a map of Chain Lakes Natural Area.

Features

- Historic Chain Lakes Bridge
- Boat ramp
- Picnic areas
- Primitive restroom facilities
- Public water supply
- Bottomland timber
- Prairies

Activities
- Picnicking
- Hiking
- Hunting
- Fishing
- Trapping

Operating Hours & Seasons

4 am – 10:30 pm